Two Evening sewing clubs in East London
Are you new to sewing and are looking for some assistance? or perhaps you are already a pretty nifty sewist but can never find the time to sew? I host two regular sewing clubs in East London, offering a welcoming environment dedicated to sewing. More details on each class below. I also host one day sewing workshops, click here for more details.
We meet once a month for two hours dedicated to sewing. work on an existing project or start a new one. I can give you some guidance and inspiration if you are a complete beginner. If you are interested in joining, please sign up to the Bow Sewing Bee Newsletter or join the Facebook Group. It costs £8 per meeting click here for more details on how to book. We meet at Snap, 465 Roman Road, E3 5LX (A card and gift shop close to number 8 bus stop & Roman Road Market).
A sewing workshop encouraging repair, upcycling and remodelling of used clothes, looking to break our habit to always buy new. Fix holes in jeans, hem trousers, shorten sleeves or create a new outfit from something already in the wardrobe. Bring along an item of clothing to repair or practice basic techniques on the examples provided. Help will be given with ideas and basic sewing knowledge. Suitable for beginner sewers who need some help or more experienced sewers looking for a dedicated space and time to sew. We are a friendly and collaborative group, be prepared to share ideas and help others. All equipment provided including a small amount of fabric and trims. Spaces limited to 6 people. Please pre-book by emailing email@example.com or via Facebook or visit our website. We meet on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month. I run the class with Eleanor Tull, a graduate of MA in Sustainable Textiles. It takes place at The Create Place, 29 Old Ford Road, London E2 9PJ (close to Bethnal Green Tube and The V&A Museum of Childhood).
- Get to meet new people
- Help each other with sewing projects and build confidence
- Share resources and ideas
- Get inspiration on re-purposing and recycling clothes and textiles.
Equipment – what to bring
- Your own project, for example: clothes to be hemmed, holes to be repaired, an embroidery, applique or quilting project, alterations you need someone else to pin, a pattern to cut out etc.
- A basic sewing kit: dressmaker scissors, thread, needles & pins – These will also be provided if you don’t already have a kit or forget to bring it (Sew Amazing have a good selection of equipment and haberdashery)
- No hot food in the room I’m afraid, we need to keep the area clean for sewing.
- Both classes are well equipped with several sewing machines an overlocker, iron and ironing board.
- Basic sewing kit available (threads, scissors, needles, pins).
- Basket of fabric remnants available for free, suitable for small projects, patches etc.
I look forward to seeing you at a sewing club soon. Sarah x