Monday evening, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Are you new to sewing and are looking for some assistance? or perhaps you are already a pretty nifty sewist but can never find the time to sew? I host two regular sewing clubs in East London, offering a welcoming environment dedicated to sewing. They take place every Monday 6:30 to 8:30pm, alternating each week between Bethnal Green & Bow. Cost is £5.50 per session. Spaces are limited to 8 people per week so please pre-book to avoid disappointment by clicking here.
Please sign up to my Sewing Club Newsletter to receive a regular update on both clubs.
|13-Aug||The Create Place, Bethnal Green|
|27-Aug||Bank Holiday – NO CLASS|
|10-Sep||The Create Place, Bethnal Green|
|24-Sep||The Create Place, Bethnal Green|
Sew & Mend is an upcycling sewing club designed to encourage and inspire you to create an outfit, accessory or home furnishings from something you already own. Save money, save your clothes and reduce your impact on the environment. At the same time, make some new friends and enjoy mindful sewing for two hours. £5.50 per week.
The Create Place, 29 Old Ford Road, London E2 9PJ (close to Bethnal Green Tube and The V&A Museum of Childhood). Starting on the 23rd July, booking form at the bottom of this page.
Bow Sewing Bee: We have been meeting up for a few weeks and it is going well, lots of chat about where to go locally, where to buy fabric and technical tips. Two hours dedicated to working on an existing project or starting a new one. I can give you some guidance and inspiration if you are a complete beginner. If you are interested in joining, please sign up to the Olive Road Sewing Group or join the Bow Sewing Bee Facebook Group. £5.50 per week, booking form at the bottom of this page.
Snap, 465 Roman Road, E3 5LX (A card and gift shop close to number 8 bus stop & Roman Road Market)
What happens at the Bow Sewing Bee and the Sew & Mend Club?
- Get to meet new people
- Help each other with sewing projects and build confidence
- Share resources and ideas
- Get inspiration on re-purposing and recycling clothes and textiles.
Bring along an item of clothing you would like to fix, alter or re-work into something new. I will help with ideas and basic sewing techniques. If you are working on a project and need space or sewing equipment, then bring that along too. From time to time I’ll be inviting other people in the field of crafting and sewing to give us some tips and ideas on upcycling clothes. Suitable for adults at all levels of sewing.
Equipment – what to bring
- Your own project, for example: clothes to be hemmed, holes to be repaired, an embroidery, applique or quilting project, alterations you need someone else to pin, a pattern to cut out etc.
- A basic sewing kit: dressmaker scissors, thread, needles & pins – These will also be provided if you don’t already have a kit or forget to bring it (Sew Amazing have a good selection of equipment and haberdashery)
- No hot foods in the room I’m afraid, we need to keep the area clean for sewing.
- Sew & Mend at The Create Place is well equipped with several sewing machines, an overlocker.
- Bow Sewing Bee – we have one sewing machine and there is a plan to buy more plus an overlocker.
- Basic sewing kit available (threads, scissors, needles, pins).
- Basket of fabric remnants available for free, suitable for small projects, patches etc.
£5.50 per week – space is limited so it is advisable to book ahead by clicking here. Full refund given (or you can swap to another day) by emailing email@example.com before 6:30pm the Sunday evening before the session (i.e. at least 24 hours notice). No refunds or credits if you don’t show or cancel within the 24 hour period. This is due to venue charges.