Are you new to sewing and are looking for some assistance? or perhaps you are already a pretty nifty sewist but can never find the time to sew? Sew & Mend is a regular upcycling workshop designed to encourage and inspire you to create an outfit from something you already own. Save money, save your clothes and reduce your impact on the environment. At the same time, make some new friends and enjoy mindful sewing for two hours.
If you are interested in joining, please sign up to my Sewing Group’s Newsletter (I also run a similar group in Bow, E3). If you have any queries, comments or would like to apply for a reduced fee place please email me on Sarah@oliveroad.london
Cost is £5.50 per session. Spaces are limited to 8 per week so please pre-book here to avoid disappointment.
Monday evening, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
(every other week – dates below)
The Create Place, 29 Old Ford Road, London E2 9PJ (close to Bethnal Green Tube and The V&A Museum of Childhood)
- Alternate Monday evenings, click here for dates
- Opposite Mondays I host a similar group on Roman Road, Bow. Click here for more details.
- Get to meet new people
- Help each other with sewing projects and build confidence
- Possible community collaborations
- Share resources and ideas
Bring along an item of clothing you would like to fix, alter or re-work into something new. I will help with ideas and basic sewing techniques. Help and inspire others in the group with ideas on updating or creating a new outfit from one you already own. If you are working on a project and need space or sewing equipment, then bring that along too. From time to time I’ll be inviting other people in the field of crafting and sewing to give us some tips and ideas on upcycling clothes. Suitable for adults at all levels of sewing.
Equipment – what to bring
- Your own project, for example: clothes to be hemmed, holes to be repaired, an embroidery, applique or cross stitch project, alterations you need someone else to pin, a pattern to cut out.
- A basic sewing kit: dressmaker scissors, thread, needles & pins (Sew Amazing have a good selection of equipment and haberdashery)
- No hot foods in the room I’m afraid, we need to keep the area clean for sewing. There is a small kitchen to make hot and cold drinks.
£5.50 per week – space is limited so it is advisable to book ahead here. Full refund given (or you can swap to another day) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before 6pm the Sunday evening before the session. I’m afraid I can’t give refunds to people who don’t show up or cancel after 6pm on the Sunday. This is due to venue charges and I need to re-sell your place. Thank you.