Bow Sewing Bee
If you live in or near Bow (E3 London) and would like to join like minded sewers then it would be lovely to see you at our regular sewing bee. The group is open to all skill sets, whether you are a novice, expert or something in between. If you prefer knitting or crochet, then that is welcome too!
We have been meeting up for a few weeks and it is going well! Two hours dedicated to working on an existing project or starting a new one. I can give you some guidance if you are a complete beginner. If you are interested in joining, please sign up to the Olive Road Sewing Group or join the Facebook Group. If you have any queries or comments please email me on Sarah@oliveroad.london. I’ve set up a similar group at the Create Place in Bethnal Green on the Monday’s I am not in Bow. So there is a chance to sew every Monday evening.
Monday evening, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
(every other week – dates below)
Snap Store, 465 Roman Road, E3 5LX (close to number 8 bus stop & Roman Road Market)
- Alternate Monday evenings, click here for dates
- On opposite Mondays I host a similar group in Bethnal Green, click here for more details. (all welcome)
- Get to know your neighbours and catch up with friends
- Help each other with sewing projects and build confidence
- Possible community collaborations
- Share resources and ideas
The long term plan is to find a space big enough for a couple of sewing machines and an overlocker. I have one lovely vintage machine at the moment but please bring with you any hand sewing projects that you have on the go. If you are looking for a new idea or are a complete beginner, don’t worry, I’ve got some ideas to get you started and will bring my sewing books too.
Beginners – I can start you off with some hand sewing projects, giving you ideas and showing you some basic hand sewing techniques.
Intermediate – You are welcome to join in the beginner’s project or bring along your own project that you may need some advice on.
Experts – Please come along and share your knowledge with other sewing enthusiasts, swap ideas and finish those little projects that have been sitting in your basket for months. There will be room to cut out a pattern.
Equipment – what to bring
- Your own project, for example: clothes to be hemmed, holes to be repaired, an embroidery, applique or cross stitch project, alterations you need someone else to pin, a pattern to cut out.
- A basic sewing kit: dressmaker scissors, thread, needles & pins (Sew Amazing have a good selection of equipment and haberdashery)
- Water / cold drink ( the cafe will be shut so we won’t be able to buy food and drinks in the evening. I’d advise not to bring hot drinks or food in case of any spillages which could ruin someone’s project)
I will bring
- Scissors, needles, threads & trims, iron and a small selection of fabrics will be available for use during the session and some to buy
- A small selection of cold drinks
- I am planning on buying a couple of sewing machines but these won’t be available for the first couple of weeks
£5.50 per week – space is limited so it is advisable to book ahead by clicking here.
I hope to see you at the Bow Sewing Bee very soon! Sarah x